Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It Wasn't Your Fault

I know I say this a lot...but I really have the best job ever!!  I am so ridiculously blessed that it is very rare that I come home without lots of good things to share with Adam.  I know for so many people it is the opposite and I am so thankful the Lord has placed me where I am.

 So today was a special day in kindergarten....Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!  Most celebrate birthdays with birthday cake or brownies....not us....we have green eggs and ham!  The kids LOVED it!!  Even the ones that were too scared to try it had a blast making it.  I loved hearing the excitement in their voice and seeing smiles on each of their faces!  It is so rewarding to help fill them with that joy and laughter!!  Well so after green eggs and ham it was business as usual.  We had snack and then it was on to math.  For those of you who don't know, we have a new math series.  None of us have ever taught  it and it has been an experience FOR SURE!  Well today the math lesson was really hard and so we started on the carpet and we sorted our shapes whole group.  They did a really nice job and so I thought they were ready to go to their desk and try it by themselves.  We were using shapes and to make a long story short, what I was trying to get them to do confused them even more.  I had 5 kids do exactly what I asked, 9 completely lost, and 1 had gone to the bathroom and I look over and he is playing in housekeeping!   I normally don't get frustrated with them because 1. They are five 2.  I just love them!  But I sure was getting frustrated with them this afternoon.  I finally looked up at them and said "Are you just not listening to me or I'm just really confusing you?"  Ofcourse they all respond that I'm just reslly confusing them.  One of my kids even suggested that we take a vote....so we did....and majority rules....I was just confusing them.  So we put all our shapes back in the bag and started over.  This time instead of getting out 10 shapes, we got out 3.  MUCH BETTER idea.  Math after that went beautifully!  Everyone was following along and getting it.  It was a great day again!  After math I told them I was really sorry that I confused them and that it was completely my fault.  One of my little ones raises his hand and as serious as can be says to me "it wasn't your fault Mrs. Walsingham.....it wasn't your fault....really it wasn't your fault."  I love it!!!!  I'm over here worried that I have scarred some of them for life with my ridiculous math lesson and this little one over here is worried about me!  So if they go on to first grade and stink at math...I have full support that "it wasn't my fault!"  Hope this makes you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment