Thursday, April 21, 2011

Three Little Jellybeans

So I know it's been a long time since I have posted anything.  Most of you know about everything that is going on with my dad so it's been a little crazy around here.  I have lots of things to share, but this one deserves it's own post.  As you all know we have a big Holiday coming up.  In kindergarten, we try to make everything a big deal so that brings me to Easter.  Tomorrow is our big Easter Egg Hunt and boy are these kids ready.  I wish you could have seen their faces when they walked in the room today and saw all of the eggs being stuffed on the table.  It was like Christmas!  Well this year I am trying something different (thanks to my teaching neighbor).  We decided to number the eggs with their student number.  They can only pick up their number which will make the egg hunt last longer than their usual time (aka 3 minutes).  I'll let you know how it goes, but they are super excited about this big event.  One of mine even had my para write his number on a piece of paper so he could practice and wouldn't forget it.  He kept that piece of paper with him all day long.  I would catch him looking at it through out the day.  He is beside himself with excitement.  Well this same child happened to get an egg today for working hard with one of the other teachers.  I knew he was excited  and felt so proud to get it, but I didn't know just how much it meant to him until we were walking to the buses.  I hugged him goodbye and watched him get on his bus.  As I was walking by I looked up one more time and saw him talking to the bus driver.  He had his egg out and was showing his bus driver.  I could have started crying right there.  If you could have seen the look on his face as he was showing her his egg, you would too.  He was glowing as he was showing her the 3 jelly beans that were inside it.  I can't wait to see what happens to tomorrow when he gets 14 eggs ;)  I went back to my room and could not stop thinking about that moment.  I may never forget it and hope that I don't.  So many times I have the I want more mentality.  I want a house, a boat, new clothes, etc.  I find myself so many times falling into that mind set in so many ways.  Maybe it's something at home or even at school.  I think being satisfied is something so many of us find ourselves struggling with.  Well...not my little kindergartner.  He thought one little Easter Egg filled with three little jellybeans was the best thing there is.  If only we had the heart and the eyes of this child.  My hope and prayer is that God will teach me this.  So this Easter, whether you have a whole basket filled with the best Easter eggs there are, or if you have only one, filled with three little jellybeans, I hope you can find the same joy and happiness that this little boy did.  Happy Easter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment